|home climbing areas field notesknowledgedisclaimercopyrightcontactdonate|
Update: last updated on 01/04/2012.
Below you will find a description of the name origins for most of the mountains in the area. This article is a work in progress. If you find mistakes or have suggestions for things that should be added please let us know.
This information is also found in the introduction to each of the peaks, where you will also find detailed bibliography for each.
Other than the name Chalten little to no information was kept about the names that the original settlers of the area, the Tehuelches, might have used. In light of this, the remaining key sources for today’s toponyms are:
- Francisco Pascacio “Perito” Moreno and the members of the “Comisión de Limites”, who in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s had the task of surveying, mapping and delimitating the border between Argentina and Chile. Moreno observed the massif only from a distance, marking only the most important mountains.
Cerro Huemul. Possibly the name was given by the early western settlers, however it was first recorded by Kölliker et al. in 1916.
Paso del Viento. Possibly the name was given by the early western settlers, but it was first recorded by Kölliker et al., 1916.
Cerro Azara y Bravo. Kölliker et al., 1916. It is unclear what the name Azara refers too.
Vestisquero Quervai. Kölliker et al., 1916. It is unclear what the name Quervai refers too.
Agujas del Rio Túnel. Aguja T48, "2", unnamed-unnumbered, "3", Aguja Tenazas and "5". The early western settlers named the river rio “Túnel”. Kölliker et al. named the two of seven summits located between Cerro Grande’s west ridge and Cerro Azara and Bravo. The second one from the north was named Cerro Tenazas and the first from the south was named Cerro Murallón. Much later, in 1952, Lliboutry grouped Cerro Tenazas and Cerro Murallón and called all seven summits Agujas del Rio Túnel. Lliboutry saw five summits instead of seven and he numbered them from south to north. The first one in Lliboutry’s count (number "1") is what Kölliker called Cerro Murallón (later "rechristened" Cerro Murallon del Viedma to avoid confusion with the well known Cerro Murallon west of the Upsala glacier) was climbed by Carlos Comesaña and Ismael Palma who renamed it Aguja T48. Lliboutry's number "2" is still unclimbed. There is an independent tower just to the north of "2" than Lliboutry neither saw nor numbered. Lliboutry's number "3" is in fact two towers that are still unclimbed. Lliboutry's "4" is what Kölliker named Cerro Tenazas (after the likeliness of its double summit with a pair of tongs) and is also unclimbed. Lliboutry's "5" is also still unclimbed. As the names now stand, from south to north, from Paso del Viento to the west ridge of Cerro Grandeare: Cerro Azara and a minor sub-summit called Cerro Bravo (not part of Agujas del Rio Túnel), followed by the Agujas del Rio Túnel: Aguja T48 (formerly known as Cerro Murallon or Cerro Murallon del Viedma), number "2", an un-numbered unamed and unclimbed summit to the NW of "2", the two towers that compose number "3", Aguja Tenazas and number "5".
Paso Túnel. In 1916 Kölliker et al. reached the col that separates Cerro Solo from Cerro Grande, which they christened Paso Túnel.
Cerro Solo. Possibly the name was given by the early western settlers, however it was first recorded by Kölliker et al. in 1916.
Punta Luca. Walter Bonatti and Carlo Mauri, the first ascensionists, named it after Mauri’s son.
Mini Torre. The summit immediately to the west of Punta Luca was first climbed in 2012 by Juan and Manuel Raselli, and Max O’Dell. They named it Mini Torre.
Cerro Grande. Kölliker et al., 1916 (originally Cerro El Grande).
Punta Paganella. This is a small bump between Cerro Grande and Cerro El Doblado, christened by the 1958 Trentinian expedition led by Bruno Detassi that accomplished the first ascent of several peaks in the Adela range.
Cerro El Doblado. Kölliker et al. in 1916. It was also known as Cerro Cuerno or Cuerno Blanco. The 1958 Trentinian expedition that accomplished its first ascent attempted to change its name to Cerro Trento, but the original name stuck.
Paso Doblado. The pass between Cerro Doblado and Cerro El Ñato, named so Aldo Bonacossa and partners in 1937 when they passed through it in their way to making the first ascent of El Ñato.
Cerro El Ñato. Kölliker et al. in 1916.
Ventisquero Fitz Roy, Glaciar Grande, Adela y Torre. The Torre glacier was originally named Fitz Roy glacier by Kölliker et al. in 1916. De Agostini respected that name in his 1930s maps, but in 1952 Lliboutry proposed changing it to more accurate names, dividing it in three portions, naming the southern portion Glaciar Grande, the tongue leading into Adelas Glaciar Adela, and the end of the valley Glaciar Torre. Lliboutry’s names are the one in use today.
Cerro Adela. Alfredo Kölliker named the peak after his mother in 1916.
Campo De Agostini. This camp is named in honor of Alberto María de Agostini, a salesian missionary of Italian origin that was responsible for some of the early explorations of the area. De Agostini has two camps named after him. Piedra del Fraile (frair’s rock) also refers to him. The De Agostini camp was formerly known as Campo Bridwell but at the behest of Cesarino Fava the name got officially changed sometime in the late 1990s. Likely Aldo Bonacossa and partners were the first to camp there, in 1937.
Cerro Torre. It’s existence was first noted by the western world in 1782 when the Spanish explorer Antonio de Viedma saw the Chalten massif from a distance. One hundred years later “Perito” Moreno saw it also from a distance and described seeing a mountain that looked like a “tower” –torre. The name, although not an official christening, stuck. Kölliker et al. fixed its geographic position with certain accuracy in 1916.
Col de la Esperanza. The col between Adela Norte and Torre was christened in 1958 by Walter Bonatti and Carlo Mauri while descending from an attempt on CT, already envisioning returning to attempt the route again the following year. This col had been called col “del Adela” until then.
Col de la Paciencia (col of Patience). The broad shoulder at the base of CT’s SE ridge was christened by the Anglo-Argentine team that first attempted the SE ridge (1968). The Italian expedition that attempted the SE ridge in 1970 and 1971 also called “La Spalla” (the shoulder, also “El Hombro” in Spanish) and “Il Bus” (“the hole” in Trentinian dialect, to refer to the snow-cave they had there).
Col de la Conquista. In 1959 Cesare Maestri christened the col between CT and Torre Egger “Col della Conquista” (col of Conquest). This name was in response to Mauri and Bonatti’s naming of the col between Cerro Torre and Cerro Adela col “della Speranza” (col of hope, named so because they had hope to return to try the peak the following year). Regarding the col of Conquest name Maestri explained: "...in the mountains there is no such thing as hope, only the will to conquer. Hope is the weapon of the poor." Maestri not only lied but did so arrogantly, belittling Mauri and Bonatti who at the time were at the pinnacle of their careers. When a person’s will to conquer allow the use of such tools as tall tales, then indeed hope, the weapon of the honest, becomes meaningless. Since Maestri only reached the col in his fantasies and since the name was a direct jab at two of the most iconic alpinists of all time, in this website this col is simply referred to as the “Egger-Torre” col. In his 2012 article about the ascent of a new route on the south face of Torre Egger Norwegian climber Bjorn-Eivind Artun suggests calling it the "Col of Truth” explaining, “because I'm convinced that Maestri never reached this point and I prefer to stop calling it Col of Conquest.” Colin Haley’s less politically correct name for the col is “Col of Lies.”
Torre Egger. Named after Austrian alpinist Toni Egger (1926-1959), who died while attempting Cerro Torre. Although he was originally from Bolzano, it was in the mountains surrounding Lienz that he developed his passion. It 1950 he discovered the Dolomites of Sesto (Tre Cime, etc) and fell in love with them immediately. Only three months later with Franz Rienzer he climbed the north face of Cima Grande. In 1951 he completed the mountain guide courses and later on become a member of the climbing group “Alpine Gesellschaft Alpenraute” from Lienz. He was well known for climbing fast and not placing many pitons, to the point that often his partners had to ask him to place more pitons. His list of ascents is a long one and includes some of the most difficult routes in the eastern Dolomites at the time: Via Solleder in Civetta, the north face of Cima Ovest di Lavaredo, Spigolo Giallo, via “Cassin” in Cima Piccolissima, North Face of Grosslockner, etc. In 1954, after a short period of inactivity, Toni returned to the mountains with renewed motivation and with Mayr Gottfried climbed the north face of Cima Ovest and the north face of Cima Grande in a mere 11 hours. He also did several significant solo ascents including an hour long ascent of the Spigollo Giallo in Cima Piccola. In 1955 he climbs the NW face of Badile and Gran Capucin, and in 1956, in spite of a 150 meter fall in Ortler, he soloed Aiguille Noire, Dent du Géant, the north face of Cima Grande (in four hours) and made an ascent of the south face of the Aiguille du Midi just two days behind Rebuffat. Later that year he participated in an expedition to Turkey, and in 1957 he went off to Peru, to complete the first ascent of the mountain that made him famous: Jirishanca (6127 m), one of the most difficult ascents in the Andes at the time. His success as an alpinist helped him professionally too, becaming the director of the Tirol Alpine School in Innsbruck. Toni was one of the leading alpinists of his generation. Toni’s climbing carrier started in the Dolomites of Lienz on the Roter Turm, a summit that is now known as the Egger Turm.
Col de Lux. In 2005 Thomas Huber christen the saddle between Egger and Herron “Col de Lux” explaining that “because we think we were the first humans on this col”. Italians Bruno de Dona and Giuliano Giongo claim to have climbed through that col during the supposed second ascent of Egger. Lack of any trace of passage has cast serious doubt on their claim, of which Huber writes, “we found no trace of the Italians here –at the col- or anyplace above.”
Punta Herron. It was named after New Zealander Philip Herron, who died during an expedition to climb Torre Egger in 1976. He was part of a Kiwi expedition of which he was the youngest member and one of the best climbers. He fell un-roped into a narrow crevasse and became tightly wedged. His partner’s efforts to free him were fruitless, so the partner was forced to walk to basecamp for help, but by the time help arrived, the next morning, it was too late.
Col dei Sogni (Col de los Sueños). In 1991, when Ermanno Salvaterra became the first to climb through the Herron-Standhardt col he christened it “Col dei Sogni” (col of dreams). He explained, “How many times have I tried to imagine this place and how many times have I seen it in my dreams!”.
Aguja Standhardt. This tower was named after the German photographer Ernst Standhardt (1888-1968), who arrived in Patagonia in the 30’s, and remained there until the mid sixties. He was responsible for taking many of the first photos of these mountains. He had traveled all across Patagonia photographing people, making a living doing it, using a small Ford T truck, in the back of which he had built a small topper which served as his darkroom and home. During an unusual period of low water he managed to drive this small truck across Rio de las Vueltas, then across the rio Fitz Roy and again across rio de Las Vueltas to reach Estancia Madsen. There he remained as Andreas Madsen’s foreman and died at a late age after Madsen and his family had already left the area. Honoring the precision with which he had acted most of his life, he died the same day he was born. Some of Standhardt photos from the area were published in a La Nación article the 9/10/1938 (domingo, 4ta secc. p.2). The article written by Guillermo Estrella was the first to showcase the area to the general public.
Punta Shanti. It was named by its first ascensionists, David Autheman and Antoine Noury in memory of Chantal Maudit, a well-known French Himalayan climber, who had visited the Fitz Roy area in the 1990s and who got died while attempting to climb Dhaulagiri in May 1998. “Shanti” is the nickname by which Chantal was known.
El Mocho. Lliboutry et al. in 1952. Folco Doro Altan had called it “Meseta de los Gigantes” some years earlier but Lliboutry either ignored the name or was unaware of it.
Aguja de la Medialuna. Refers to the half moon shape that the glacier forms around it. It’s origin is unknown.
Torre Pereyra. The small peak to the east of the Col of Patience was christened by its first ascensionists, Cedar Wright, Leo Houlding and Kevin Thaw in memory of the late Venezuelan climber Jose Pereyra.
Agujas Tres Hermanas (Three Sisters). These three small towers SW of Medialuna were christened by Slovenes Silvo Karo and Andre Grmovšek in 2005 when they climbed by them while completing the first ascent of the “Slovene Sit Start” route.
Aguja Torrisimo. A distinct spire between Medialuna and Aguja Pereyra was also christened by Slovenes Silvo Karo and Andre Grmovšek in 2005 while completing the first ascent of the “Slovene Sit Start” route.
Aguja Bifida. Lliboutry et al. in 1952. After it’s pronged two summits.
Punta Filip. Named in 1999 by its first ascensionists, Silvo Karo and Rolando Garibotti, in honor of Filip Jeglic, Janez Jeglic’s son, who was born soon after his father’s death on Nuptse. Janez had visited Patagonia on many occasions and had climbed many difficult routes in the area.
Triologia Inca – Pachamama, Atchachila y Inti. Named by Tomy Bonapace and Gerold Dunser in 1992 after having done a traverse of the three.
Cuatro Dedos. Lliboutry et al. in 1952.
Aguja CAT. An expedition from Club Andino Tucuman, a mountain club in northern Argentina, named this tower after their own club in 1961, during an attempt to climb Cerro Piergiorgio.
Cerro Domo Blanco. Lliboutry et al. in 1952 or perhaps the first ascensionists, Alain Cazaux, Jean Guthmann, Jean Vincent Pillet, Carlos Stegmann and Gerardo Watzl also in 1952.
Cerro Rincon. Lliboutry et al., 1952 or perhaps Cazaux, Pillet, Stegmann and Watzl.
Colmillos, Sur, Central and Norte. Three small but distinct towers between Cerro Rincon and Aguja Volonqui. Named clearly after their shape. Origin unknown.
Aguja Volonqui. Named by the late Hector Vieytes, a friend of the first ascensionists Rab Carrington and Alan Rouse. Vieytes was a renowned Argentine climber and sleeping bag and down jacket manufacturer. For almost two decades until his death in 1994, Vieytes was the host of many international expeditions when they passed through Buenos Aires heading to Patagonia. In 1977 Rab spent several months in Buenos Aires working with Vieytes. When he returned to the UK he used his newly acquired skills to start the company Rab, a very successful clothing and gear company still today.
Aguja Dumbo. Named after it’s elephant ear shape. Origin unknown.
Cordon Marconi. Named by De Agostini in honor of the Guglielmo Marconi (1874-1937), an Italian electrical engineer who was partly responsible for the development of wireless telegraphy and was also the President of the “Reale Accademia d’Italia”, which partly supported De Agostini’s expedition. Kölliker et al. in 1916 were the first to put the Marconi Range in a map and more practical and less eager to celebrate European heroes and sponsors than De Agostini, they named Marconi Central after its likeliness, calling it Cerro El Cajon (box peak) after the square shape it has when viewed from the west. Unfortunately it is De Agostini’s name that prevailed.
Cerro Piergiorgio. Named by De Agostini after a young man from Torino, Piergiorgio Frassati (1901-1925). According to De Agostini and church literature, Frassati was a virtuous young man who loved passionately the mountains and practiced alpinism as a way to fortify the spirit and raise himself closer to God. He appears to have conducted an exemplary life of compassion, mercy and charity and was beatified in 1990.
Cerro Pollone. De Agostini named it after a small town in Piemonte, near Biella, where he was born in 1883.
Aguja Tito Carrasco. The first ascensionists, Gregory Crouch and Jim Donini named it after Bolivian climber Tito Carrasco who died after being hit by rockfall while climbing in El Potrero Chico, Mexico. He was a close friend of Donini’s wife, Angela.
Aguja Stefan. Named by the first ascensionist Stefan Gatt, after himself.
Loma Blanca. De Agostini did the first ascent in the 1930s but he did not name the peak. The early western settlers might have given the name or it could have been given later on by Lliboutry.
Cerro Eléctrico. De Agostini was the first to record this name, sometime in the 1930s and he explained that the peak’s name was given by the early western settlers because of the windy and stormy nature of that area, writing that it was due, “alle straordinaria violenza delle raffiche di vento che precipitano da questo monte nelle valle con secche detonazioni, da sembrare scariche elettriche.”
Castillo Negro. This is a distinct black colored pyramid located between Paso Guillaumet and Cerro Eléctrico. Lliboutry et al. in 1952 named it Cerro Eléctrico Oeste, giving it a second alternative name, “Château Noir” –Castillo Negro. Since then the name Cerro Electrico Oeste has been adjudicated to the peak north of Paso Cuadrado, so it seems adequate to use the alternative name given by Lliboutry instead.
Aguja Guillaumet. Llibourty et al. in 1952 named it after Henri Guillaumet (1902-1940), who along with Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Jean Mermoz and other pilots of the French Aéropostale cruised the world establishing the first postal air routes. By the time he died, when his plane was shot down while flying between Marseille and Tunisia, he had accomplished 92 crossing of the southern Atlantic.
Aguja Mermoz. Llibourty et al. in 1952 named it after French pilot Jean Mermoz (1901-1936), who after having been in the air-force established himself as the head pilot of the French Aéropostale lines to South America. He was the first to establish a nightly postal line linking Rio de Janeiro with Santiago de Chile crossing the Andes. He disappeared the 6th of December 1936 along with three other crewmembers, when their plane “Cruz del Sur” plummeted into the southern Atlantic. The rescue efforts by his companions and other airline carriers proved fruitless.
Aguja Val Biois. Named after a valley in the Dolomites (Belluno province) where one of the first ascensionists, Bruno De Dona lives.
Filo del Hombre Sentado. In 1950 Hans Zechner named it Cerro Muñeco (Mannequin peak) but his playful name was overwritten by Lliboutry, who called it simply “Hombre Sentado”. In 1958 Italian Cesare Maestri climbed the two towers at the west end of the ridge (the westerner one is the “hombre sentado” or “muñeco”) and christened them Punta Anna (after his sister) and Punta Lelia. In 1984 an all female party climbed Punta Lelia and renamed it Punta Mujer. The original Lliboutry name withstands.
Boquete del Piergiorgio. The 1937 Italian expedition led by Aldo Bonacossa named this pass Paso Fitz Roy, but their name did not stick.
Cerro Fitz Roy. The original inhabitants of this land, the Tehuelches referred to this mountain as “Chaltel” or “Chaltén” meaning smoking mountain, a name no doubt inspired by the clouds that so often trail from the summit. Unfortunately the western newcomers had their heads too full of heroes to celebrate and appreciate the poetry of the original Tehuelche name. It was Francisco Pascasio “Perito” Moreno that renamed the peak after Robert Fitz Roy, an English astronomer and sailor (1805-1865), who was partly responsible for the first accurate mapping of the intricate watersheds and shorelines of Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego. On his second trip to Patagonia in 1834, together with Charles Darwin, Fitz Roy set out to explore the Río Santa Cruz in hopes of reaching the Andes, but after sailing 140 miles up river they were forced to turn around, resigning themselves to a very distant sight of the snow covered mountains. Of the mountain he later christened as Cerro Fitz Roy Moreno writes: “Los Tehuelches me han mencionado varias veces y con terror supersticioso, esta ‘montaña humenate’. Es el ‘Chalten’ que vomita humo y cenizas y que hace temblar la tierra...” He later on explains his reasons for renaming the peak “Cerro Fitz Roy”: “...como el nombre de ‘Chalten’ que le dan los indios lo aplican ellos también a otras montañas, me permito llamarle ‘Fitz Roy’, como una muestra de gratitud que los argentinos debemos a la memoria del sabio y enérgico almirante inglés...” The reasoning seems in accordance to the principles of the early explores, who felt they were discovering a land that had in fact been inhabited for almost 12.000 years. Hopefully the same historic revisionism that in the last decades has hit North-America and the Himalaya will come south, to refloat the original name.
Pilar Goretta. Named by its first ascensionist, Renato Casarotto, after his wife, Goretta Traverso, who supported him and aided him through many years of expeditions.
Brecha de los Italianos. Remembers Ettore Castiglioni, Giovanni Gilberti and Leo Dubosc, who together with Aldo Bonacossa made the first serious attempt to climb Fitz Roy in early 1937.
De la Silla. Llibourty et al. in 1952, they gave it an alternate name, Pointe du Cineaste, because the expeditions film maker Georges Strouve wished to climb to the top to make the film of his life...
M+M. The first ascensionists Mike Schwiter and Makoto Ishibe named it in 1992 after their own initials.
Kakito. One of the first ascensionists, Kako Pardiñas named it in 1994 after his son.
Aguja Poincenot. Llibourty et al. in 1952 named it after Jacques Poincenot, one of the members of their expedition who drowned in late 1951 while attempting to cross the rio Fitz Roy. He is buried in Puerto Santa Cruz. Poincenot was one of the best climbers of his generation, and had earned himself a big reputation as such.
Col (forcella) SUSAT. In early February 1958 as they explored possible climbing routes, Italians Cesare Maestri and Luciano Eccher climbed the couloir between Poincenot and Innominata reaching the col between them. They christened that col “forcella S.U.S.A.T.” in honor of the university climbing group they belonged to, the Sezione Universitaria Società de Alpinisti Tridentini.
Aguja Innominata. Llibourty et al. in 1952 referred to is as “sin nombre” (no name). It was renamed “Rafael Juarez” in 1974 by the first ascensionists in memory of a young climber from Cordoba, Argentina who was loosely linked to their expedition. Rafael disappeared in the Adela glacier, in company of Eduardo Atilio Mundet, also from Argentina. They are presumed to have fallen into a crevasse (22/1/1974). For no reason we continue to use Lliboutry’s “no name” name.
Aguja Saint-Exupéry. Llibourty et al. in 1952 named it after Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (1900-1944) a French pilot and poet who, as a member of the French Aéropostale, became famous for flying mail across the Andes. His writing, which include masterpieces such as Le Petit Prince and La Terre des Hommes, have inspired several generations of travelers and adventurers. He was the Director of Argentine Aéropostale from 1929 to 1931 and disappeared while doing a reconnaissance flight over the northern part of Corsica. His death remains a mystery.
Punta Cristina. The south summit of Saint-Exupéry was christen Punta Cristina by its first ascensionists, Austrians Hans Bärnthaler and Ewald Lidl.
Col de los Austriacos. The col between Exupéry and De l’S was named col de los Austriacos by Austrians Hans Bärnthaler and Ewald Lidl, the first to climb to it.
Aguja de l'S. Bernard Amy and partners 1968.
Mojon Rojo. Llibourty et al. in 1952.
Techado Negro. Llibourty et al. in 1952.
Cerro Ñire. A small summit east of Techado Negro. Christened by the first ascensionist, Sergio Bossini.
Punta Velluda. Llibourty et al. in 1952. Punta Velluda is likely named after the long hairy lichens that cover its rocks. In 1972, members of a large expedition from Rovereto (Italy) led by Armando Aste climbed that small summit and renamed it Cima Rovereto, calling the ridgeline Cresta dei Roveretani. They also climbed many of the small summits along this ridgeline, which they named after friends who lost their lives in the mountains: Cima Mario Veronesi, Cima Carlo Tovazzi, Punta Fausto Susatti, Punta Giovanni Gentilini, Punta Armando Cubeddu, Cima Ezio Polo and Punta Daniele Martinazzi. The names of the Rovereto expedition were forgotten, and it is the original name given by Lliboutry that prevailed.
Cerro Madsen. Llibourty et al. in 1952. Named in honor of the Andreas Madsen and his family. Madsen first visited the area in 1901 and settled there in 1906.
Comedor de los Franceses (French lunch spot). Llibourty et al. in 1952 named it simply “comedor” (lunch spot) and only later it became el Comedor de los Franceses. Mariano Frizzera, Angelo Miorandi, Franco Solina and Armando Aste climbed this ridge in 1972 and renamed it Cresta del Centenario SAT, naming its many summits Cima degli Amici, Cima Volano, Cima Carlo Marchiodi, Punta Bepi Loss, Punta Marco Dal Bianco, Cima Borgo Sacco, Cima Mompiano, Punta Donato Zeni and Punta dell’ Ideale. The names of the Rovereto expedition were forgotten, and it is the original name that prevailed.
Cerro Madsen. Llibourty et al. in 1952, in honor of Andreas Madsen.
Laguna Capri. Named by the expedition led by Aldo Bonacossa that visited the area in 1937. Most likely the small island on it reminded them of the equally beautiful Capri island located in their motherland south of the Naples bay.
Cerro Rosado. Surely this was a name given by the early western settlers. Both Kölliker and De Agostini mark Cerro Rosado as being the peak that today we call Cerro Polo. For unknown reasons Lliboutry’s maps reflect the toponyms of today, with the name Polo taking over Rosado, and with the name Rosado being moved to a much lesser peak right above the town.
Mountain names in the surrounding area.
Cerro Gorra Blanca. Surprisingly this name pre-dates De Agostini, because he mentions that it is already in the maps he has at his disposal. It is not clear whio is responsible for this toponym.
Cerro Piramide. Same as above.
30 Aniversario. Christened in 1961 to celebrate the 30-year anniversary of Club Andino Bariloche.
Cordon Mariano Moreno. Named by Kölliker et al. after an Argentine writer and journalist (1778-1811).
Volcan Lautaro. Named after the Cacique Araucano Lautaro (1535-1557). Originally De Agostini named it Pio XI. Luckily his religious name has not prevailed.
Cerro Cagliero. Christened by De Agostini after yet another religious figure, the first cardinal of the Salesianos in Patagonia.
Cerro Milanesio. Christened by De Agostini after yet another religious figure, a
Rio Mylodon. De Agostini explains that the name refers to German settler Albert Conrad who lived there between 1918 and 1931. Conrad had been responsible for the discovery of the cave of the Mylodon near Puerto Natales when he was accompaning the Swedish explorer Otto Nordenskjöld.
For more historical info regarding the mountains surrounding this area please refer to Silvia Metzeltin and Gino Buscaini’s excellent book, Patagonia: Terra magica per viaggiatori e alpinisti. You can purchase a copy of the book here.
If you find this web page useful, please consider making a donation
Climbing is dangerous, take responsibility, climb at your own risk. © 2010 Rolando Garibotti. All rights reserved.